Thursday, June 02, 2011

Oh, and while we’re on the subject of literary connections, is it possible that Smash Mouth’s “You are my Number One” was influenced by A. E. Housman?  One of the more famous poems in A Shropshire Lad, number XXXII, goes

From far, from eve and morning 
  And yon twelve-winded sky, 
The stuff of life to knit me 
  Blew hither: here am I.
 
Now -- for a breath I tarry 
  Nor yet disperse apart -- 
Take my hand quick and tell me, 
  What have you in your heart.

Speak now, and I will answer; 
  How shall I help you, say; 
Ere to the wind's twelve quarters 
  I take my endless way. 

I suppose it’s more likely that these are simply common human sentiments – which is why they have such broad appeal – and the song lyrics were simply another expression of them…

No comments: